SCRANTON – Children who visit the Boys & Girls Clubs of Northeastern Pennsylvania programs in Luzerne and Lackawanna Counties can participate in the After School and Summer Camp Power Hour and Computer Education program, thanks to a recent contribution from AT&T.
David Kerr, regional vice president for AT&T* Pennsylvania, recently announced a $20,000 contribution during a visit and check presentation to the Central Scranton Club.
Tricia DiBiasi Thomas, executive director for the Boys & Girls Clubs of NEPA stated, “We are so appreciative of the grant from AT&T. With their investment in our programs, we can continue to reinforce what our members have learned in school. Having computers available to our members during non-school hours, after school, on Saturdays, and in the summer are very important. Many of our members do not have this technology available to them outside of school. Our intention is to help our members to do better in school and assist them in becoming self-directed learners.”
“For more than 25 years, AT&T and the AT&T Foundation have been committed to strengthening communities through advancing education,” said Kerr. “This project is a great way for us to help youth in Luzerne and Lackawanna Counties sharpen their computer and technology skills, which are essential for success in the digital age.”
The After School Power Hour Program is an educational support program developed and pioneered by The Boys & Girls Clubs of America. Based on years of research in education, the three-part program consists of homework help, tutoring, and educational enhancement activities to reinforce what has been done in the classroom. Power Hour is an after school homework help program that includes educational enhancement supplemental materials designed to take advantage of the innate curiosity of young people. The Club serves over 1,000 children annually.
At the check presentation are front row (l-r) Club members Elisha DeSouza, Sandra Santiago, Christian Mergeson and Jessica Severe. Back row (l-r) are David Kerr, regional vice president for AT&T* Pennsylvania; Tricia DiBiasi Thomas, Club executive director; Julianne Cucura, Club development director; and Laura Gentile, Club director of operations.
The Boys & Girls Clubs was founded in 1899 and was originally called the Boy’s Industrial Association (BIA) and was located in the basement of St. Luke’s Episcopal Church. From its inception, the organization was non-sectarian and inter-racial in membership and administration. In 1906, BIA joined a growing federation of youth organizations, which later became the Boys & Girls Clubs of America. In 1926, the organization moved into larger facilities at the corner of Mulberry Street and Adams Avenue and was dedicated with a new corporate title, “Boys’ Club of Scranton”. In response to social developments and recognizing a strong local need for services for girls, the club opened its doors to girls in 1981. In October of 1985, The Club changed its name to the Boys & Girls Clubs of Scranton. In 2000, the organization once again expanded services, locating extension sites throughout Luzerne County and was renamed to The Boys & Girls Clubs of Northeastern Pennsylvania. Throughout the time the mission has remained the same: to enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to reach their full potential as productive, caring, responsible citizens. Today, some 1,000 boys and girls, ages six to eighteen years old, take advantage of the programs, activities, and services provided by our agency at our full-service Central unit in Scranton and our extension sites throughout Luzerne County and in lower Lackawanna County.
About Philanthropy at AT&T
AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) is committed to advancing education, strengthening communities and improving lives. Through its philanthropic initiatives, AT&T has a long history of supporting projects that create learning opportunities; promote academic and economic achievement; and address community needs. In 2010, more than $148.2 million was contributed through corporate-, employee- and AT&T Foundation-giving programs.